You can place Echo Dot in a variety of locations, including your kitchen counter, your living room, your bedroom nightstand, or anywhere you want a voice-controlled computer. Echo Dot can be used without other Alexa devices.
Before you begin using your Echo Dot and the Alexa Voice Service, connect it to a Wi-Fi network, and then register it to your Amazon account from the Alexa app. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Download the Alexa app and sign in.
With the free Alexa app, you can set up your device, manage your alarms, music, shopping lists, and more.
To download the Alexa app, go to the app store on your mobile device and search for “Alexa app.” Then select and download the app. You can also select a link below:
You can also go to https://alexa.amazon.com from Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer (10 or higher) on your Wi-Fi enabled computer.
- Turn on Echo Dot.
Place your Echo Dot in a central location (at least eight inches from any walls and windows). Then, plug the included power adapter into Echo Dot and then into a power outlet. The light ring on Echo Dot turns blue, and then orange.
- Connect Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network.
In the Alexa app, follow the instructions to connect Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network. To learn more, go to Connect Echo Dot to Wi-Fi
- If the setup process does not automatically start, press and hold the Action button on Echo Dot until the light ring turns orange. Then, open the Alexa app, and go to Settings > Set up a new device.
- To learn more, go to Reset Your Echo Dot (2nd Generation).
- Talk to Alexa.
You can now use your Echo device. To get started, say the “wake word” and then speak naturally to Alexa.
- Optional: Connect Echo Dot to an External Speaker
While Echo Dot has a speaker, you can connect it to external speakers with the included audio cable or through Bluetooth. For more information, go to: