Posted Sun Jan 8, 2017 at 03:15 PM PST by Steven Cohen
The unique smart speaker features the Alexa voice service.
Onkyo has revealed its first audio product geared toward the IoT (internet of things) market. The VC-FLX1 smart speaker combines high quality audio playback with several smart device features.
With Amazon’s Alexa cloud-based voice service, the VC-FLX1 allows users to control the device using just their voice. Likewise, the speaker features an integrated web camera and environment sensors for monitoring its surroundings.
Here’s a rundown of key features per the press release:
– Amazon Alexa that helps users play music, control their smart home and more using just their voice.
– High-quality music playback via proprietary full range speaker driver.
– Web camera with motion, temperature and humidity sensors. Combined with third party cloud service, it is possible to monitor the environment via your smartphone.
– Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® capabilities.
– Will support a wide variety of network music services and Internet radio.
Pricing and availability for the VC-FLX1 smart speaker have not been announced yet.
In addition the the VC-FLX1, Onkyo also recently detailed its upcoming SBT-A500 Network Surround Soundbar System. The three-piece system features a low 2.1″ profile soundbar, a slim Network A/V Receiver, and a wireless subwoofer. The soundbar uses precision drivers with two speakers each for the left, right, and center channels, plus single height speakers for overhead sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object based immersive audio formats. Onkyo’s SBT-A500 Network Surround Soundbar System will be available later this month for a suggested retail price of $999.
Likewise, the company just announced upcoming Chromecast built-in support for several existing audio components. Chromecast built-in tech allows customers with Chromecast-enabled AV products to use their mobile devices to stream music, radio, or podcasts, and control the audio from anywhere in the house using Cast-enabled mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac and Windows laptop, and Chromebook. Chromecast built-in functions will be activated through firmware updates starting this spring for select Onkyo gear. Click here for the full list.